Wednesday, September 11, 2013

When a Luddite works in a tech company

My company develops software, so I find today's bit of Luddite minded wtf coming from one of our admins a bit ironic.

We have an admin that sent out an Exchange invite to a meeting. I replied to the calendar event & confirmed my attendance. Anyone who has worked at a place that relies on Exchange calendars to know when people are free or busy, and relies on those meeting confirmations can understand why I didn't think anything further was needed after I confirmed my attendance via the invite.

Today, I got an email from the admin asking me, just to verify, if I was going to be at the meeting. I replied saying yes, I had confirmed on the invite. She replied to me with:

"I know, but I had asked specifically in my original email for everyone to rsvp by e-mail (don't trust exchange).  That is way I said, "just verifying"."

Can't trust that newfangled technolobly.

It reminds me of how many employees are hindered in being more productive because of backwards, broken, kludgy processes being kept in place by the lowest common denominator. In this case, to be fair, there's not been a company wide push to rely on the Exchange calendar, rather than just use it for reminder noises. We're small enough we could do this. I'm going to push for this to get more awareness.

I'm sure that just about every company has some process that's an artifact of people not changing methods to match changes in tools. How much less time we'd all spend on administrivia if people took the initiative to train themselves on the common, not terribly difficult tools at their disposal and/or their company provided training. I'm hoping we can achieve that here.

In the meantime, I'll continue to poke at the Luddite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home